I walked up to my classroom to find all sorts of happy surprises today!
- New benches in front of my class! Perfect for lunch, snacks, lining up, and just plain cute!
- As if my cottage classroom wasn't cute enough, I now have an adorable wooden sign that says it's my class with a little giraffe next to the title. There used to be this very odd window to nowhere, so I'm happy with the change. I always thought it was strange to have a fake window with a staircase wall on the other side. Now the space has a purpose. Pic is below!
- We got new reading curriculum!! I ordered it, but it's always a wild card whether it will show up on time. Almost all of it is in my room now, minus a few parts of the teacher package on back-order. We'll be using MacMillan Treasures now. Our old curriculum had great stories, but no vocabulary or comprehension component, so we always had to make that part up ourselves. Oh, and phonics didn't exist either, so I supplemented everything. I'm excited to work with the new stuff!
- While cleaning out a storage closet, my Head of School (principal to the rest of the universe) found a bunch of Lower El stuff. Perfect goodies for my kindergarten kids. Plus a whole stack of Zoo Books for my little science nerds :)
|My Classroom with new sign and benches!|
Once I got settled in, I started rearranging my classroom. I took before pictures, so I can post them all later along with the finished product. I left my room in a state of disaster today, so I'll be going back with another teacher tomorrow. We've got plans for working on our rooms and a Chinese take-out lunch break!
Here's what got done:
- Dropped off the school supplies. I figured the nightmare about them being stolen from my house the other night was a sign they needed to go live at school now.
- Shifted over a cabinet (well, that's a lie, I asked the janitor to move the heavy particle board thing so it wouldn't be my fault if it broke from the flimsiness. It was close, but it survived!)
- Added pocket charts I didn't have room for on the walls on the walls before the cabinet move
- Set up my class schedule pocket chart. The times are totally off because I don't have an official schedule yet. Still waiting on last minute changes.
- Starting putting away all my new curriculum
- Attempting laminating, but our *new* laminator hates us and jammed once again, eating my number poster. I salvaged it, and it's from the dollar store, so I don't really care. Just annoying that I couldn't laminate the rest of my posters. The tiny home one works AMAZINGLY but doesn't fit the big stuff.
- Started setting up my calendar, but got stopped in the middle.
- Mini meeting about how we're planning out common core, including the record keeping. I'll be adding quarterly check boxes to the CC Records I posted in my TPT store. That way I can keep the same sheets all year and add the checks in quarterly. Plus, I like the rating scale my fellow teacher came up with, so I'll add that in too and replace the current check-boxes.
Last But Not Least: Sneak a Peek Linky!
Here's some of what I got:
This is a whole unit of color words activities! Everything you can imagine to do with color words is here. be prepared for lots of laminating and cutting though! They turn out super pretty, and will be a great unit to start with for my kinder kids!