Funny Kid Quote of the Day:
Me: We're going to be playing with apples today!
Kid: Really?! Can we keep them in the toy area?! (I'm pretty sure he was serious)
Me: Umm...no. But we can do fun stuff at the table with them :)
We had Columbus Day off, so Tuesday we started by talking about the parts of an apple, then sliced them in half to make apple paintings. The kids thought this was the greatest thing ever! I had fully intended on only using fall colors but I opened up my tempera paints and discovered several had gone bad. We ending up using half tempera and half finger paint colors. Looks like I needed a trip to the teacher store... Morrison School Supply is my best friend! And yet, my wallet doesn't always agree, but I was good today and spent under $30! Kindergarten does not run without paint, so I went anyway! Plus, I got more big black and orange construction paper for the Halloween pocket books we'll be making starting next week. The kids will love them. I'll post pics of those too!
|Miracle: NO kids got paint on anything besides the table and their hands! YAY!|
|The finished apple paintings|
Here's a list of what my kids learned/showed me they know:
- the can all accurately compare sizes and understand how a scale works
- with a bit of help for kinder, the kids can all group things in stacks of tens
- they all get the concept of measuring using blocks as units
- one first grade boy understands "half" and was able to use it when estimating his able to 3 1/2 blocks
- the kids are super detail oriented and even included the microscopic "dots" the apples have on their drawings instead of just all red or green
- one kinder boy already understands basic addition with blocks
- they learned (or started learning) to count by 10's thanks to the scale measuring with sticks of 10 blocks
Bye Friends! Enjoy the cute pics!
|They compared apples without any help or prompting!|
|The kids made the stacks of 10 for me, then we learned to count by tens!|
|This method FAILED the apple was too heavy and all the blocks piled on top crashed to the floor!!|